New High School Girls Teams Forming
We have received significant interest from students at both Granby High School and Bayside High School in forming teams. If you are interested in playing for either of those teams, please email:
Bayside: Mat Scott -
or Granby: Juanita Etheridge -
Girls High School Coaches Needed
If you are interested in coaching girls lacrosse at the High School level, we have openings. Please email
for more information.
Girls High School Lacrosse – Notice to Parents and Players
Welcome to the Hampton Roads Lacrosse Girls High School League. We are excited that you are considering playing lacrosse in the Hampton Roads area! Most of the teams in the league are club teams linked to a local high school. Though they are club teams, please be aware that this is a competitive league. Depending on the number of girls that sign up for each team, there may be both a varsity and junior varsity squad.
To this end, here are a few things to be aware of as a player/parent:
· Varsity teams will play a minimum of 11 games a year, excluding scrimmages and playoff games
· Junior varsity teams will usually play a minimum of 10 games a year, excluding playoffs and scrimmages
· Since many girls come to the teams with little to no experience, the following guidelines apply to eligibility on varsity/junior varsity teams.
Please note that these are guidelines for our coaches – each coach has the authority to place athletes on either his/her JV or Varsity squad based on the coach’s assessment of the player in terms of team dedication, maturity, game knowledge, teamwork and skills.
- All girls in grades 9-12 are eligible to be selected to play on a varsity squad at the discretion of the coach
- Junior Varsity
- 9th and 10th grade girls may play on either the junior varsity or varsity squads at the discretion of the coach based on the coach’s assessment of the player as above.
- 11th grade girls with one year or less of experience may play on either the junior varsity or varsity squads at the discretion of the coach (players with more than 1 year experience may still be placed on the JV squad at the discretion of the coach based on the notes above)
- 12th grade girls with no previous lacrosse experience may play on either the junior varsity or varsity squads at the discretion of the coach (players with one or more years experience may still be placed on the JV squad at the discretion of the coach based on the notes above)
- Girls on the junior varsity squad may be asked to “play up” on the varsity squad by their coach for a limited number of varsity games, not to exceed five games.
- Girls may also be moved from varsity to JV at the discretion of the coach.
- Coaches will use discretion when placing players on the respective squads. A player who has been selected to START on a varsity squad should not play on the JV squad unless special circumstances have been cleared through the commissioner of the league.
There is no guarantee of playing time. Girls must earn their positions on a squad, and in turn also earn the amount of playing time. This being said, our coaches work to include all girls in as many games as possible.
We are thankful that you have decided to play in the HR Lax Girls High School Lacrosse League this year. We look forward to a fun and competitive season participating in the “Fastest game on two feet!”